Should I Stay or Should Go? If you are Considering Resigning - Read This.
Today's post is about something we have all faced at one time in our careers. Here is my 2 cents if you or someone on your team is faced with this sleep depriving question: 'Should I stay or should I go?'
Consider the following:
- What are you not fulfilled with at your current company? Get clear on that first - is it salary, title, flexibility in schedule, new leadership? Then talk to the right person about what is making you want to leave. (Hint – it's usually not the person you're texting at 10:00pm).
- Take action: Have the brave conversation, approach it through the lens of exploration and truth. Don’t be afraid to show who you are, what matters to you and what you truly value. It's so different for everyone. Be true to yourself and understand that there is a business to run and you are merely trying to assess if that business matches your career goals & values - it's not personal (eg: don't tie your self worth up in a job/company/promotion).
- Have outside conversations: Be knowledgeable and understand what is available on the market, so you can make an educated decision.
- Remember: You Are In Choice. No one is handcuffing you, not that bonus payout, nor that equity that vests in November, not even that promise of promotion. Grow a pair and live the life you love.
- Make a decision – don’t drag it out. If you are resigning – do it with a clear heart & gratitude. For real, say thank you.
- If you stay with your current company, then stay wholeheartedly. Choose it. Choose it like you did that very first time and let yourself Fall In Love all over again.
Musings by: Tess Sloane, Talent Lab